Whether you want to host a summer pool party or just admire the twinkling stars in your backyard, lighting is key to creating the perfect outdoor atmosphere. But if you’re feeling out of touch with your outdoor lighting, let us shed some light on the situation. Here are our awesome outdoor lighting tips and ideas to make your pool come alive!
Benefits of Outdoor Lighting
It can be a great addition to your backyard and swimming pool. Not only does it provide a beautiful and inviting atmosphere to your outdoor spaces, but it also has practical benefits. Here are just a few of the numerous advantages of this type of lighting:
- Security – Installing outdoor lightning around your pool and patio areas can create an inviting yet secure environment. They help deter vandalism, prowlers or burglars. Plus, with lighted pathways and steps you’ll reduce the risk of someone slipping in the dark.
- Safety – Properly placed lamps help ensure safety along pathways, around water features and other potentially hazardous areas in your backyard as well as make your pool more visible for swimmers after dark.
- Curb Appeal – Illuminating landscaping can enhance its beauty by highlighting unique features like trees and flowers; it may even increase the value of your property.
- Energy efficiency – LED lighting is more energy efficient than traditional bulbs, with longer lifetimes that require less energy overall— leaving you with lower electricity bills!
- Versatility – With endless choices like up-lighting walkways or enhancing trees and planters in various colors, there’s no limit to how creative you can get with designing an outdoor lighting system that fits your space.
Popular Outdoor Lighting Ideas for Pools
Outdoor pools become a magical space at night when the sun sets and the stars come out. Lighting solutions that are installed around your pool can create a beautiful, inviting and unique ambience that you can enjoy in any climate. Here are some of the most popular outdoor lighting ideas for pools to help you bring a touch of paradise to your backyard oasis.
- Ambient Lighting – It refers to illuminating walkways and pathways surrounding your pool, as well as the pool itself, with indirect soft brightness. Installing recessed lights on nearby walls or columns creates shadows that make a subtle glow around your pool area perfect for after-dinner get-togethers or romantic dates.
- Spotlights – They add a dramatic effect to pools by highlighting specific areas like decorative features. Directional spotlights should be used so they do not directly shine into eyes if people are in the pool area late at night.
- Underwater Lamps– They are designed to add atmosphere and enhance specific features such as staircases or planters around the pool deck with colorful light accents visible from below water surface.
- LED Lights – LEDs are designed for long-lasting performance and energy efficiency which makes them perfect for outdoor use – especially for lighting up areas around swimming pools that require illumination all night long such as safety signs and pathways surrounding it. They use very little power compared with halogen lights and are available in many colors to accentuate the atmosphere in the desired manner at an affordable price.
- Pathway Lamps– It offers directional guidance throughout your garden while adding decorative elements since they come in many different styles, shapes, materials and colors. Battery powered ones can be used when there is no access electrical conductor easily available nearby making them more convenient than plugged-in options.
Safety Considerations for Pool Lighting
It can be one of the most effective and beautiful additions to the backyard space, providing hours of evening entertainment or a magical ambience. However, it’s important to take some basic safety considerations into account when planning your pool lighting.
The first thing to consider is whether you will be installing the lamps around your in-ground or above-ground pool. Above-ground pools have very different needs than in-ground pools because they are more exposed to potential hazards such as low hanging tree branches or electrical wires that could interfere with operation. Be sure to take these into account when designing your lighting scheme and always locate any bright fixtures away from any potential sources of danger.
When it comes to installing lights underwater, there are several things you should keep in mind for safety reasons:
- Always follow all local and national safety codes when running wiring and mounting fixtures underwater. Most jurisdictions require metal fittings like brass or stainless steel that are approved for underwater use; use non-corrosive switches located outside of swimming areas; and ensure proper grounding is completed to eliminate shocks from improper electrical installation.
- Use only UL/ETL approved lighting products for in-ground applications. Use quality seals around underwater fittings, plugs, switches and outlets so they don’t become disconnected when submerged in water; quality seals meet standard specifications regarding water resistance ratings which protect against corrosion due to damp conditions or excessive moisture build up surrounding the fixture.
- Place light fixtures so they cast down light onto the pool surface; this will provide strong brightness coverage while minimizing shadows which could cause tripping and slipping hazards near steps, stairs or other entry points into your pool area. Make sure all lights installed above ground are out of reach from children – typically 10 feet is a good rule of thumb but check with local codes for specifics on height requirements based on application type (residential vs commercial).
In conclusion, outdoor lamps can be a great way to add pizzazz and fun to your pool area, while also making it safer and increasing its usability. You’ll find that the lamps you choose automatically creates ambiance and sets the tone for how people will enjoy the space. Whether you’re looking to create a warm and inviting atmosphere or add drama with a touch of luxury, there are plenty of creative options when it comes to poolside lighting.
Just remember whichever route you choose, proper positioning is essential when working with lights outdoors. When done right, the results will come out perfectly!