Smartwatches are taking over the industry with their ability to sync to your phone and bring calls, emails, texts, and health checks right to your wrist. Many of us are all on board with this especially when it comes to the health benefits. It’s not just tracking our steps but measuring our heart rate and sleep patterns for better overall health.
But what about kids? Is there a smartwatch for kids that could do something similar? Here at Geeqer we are happy to inform you there are smartwatches for kids and they are growing in popularity. Let’s discuss why they are excellent and which are the best smartwatches for kids.
|VTech Kidizoom||An inexpensive option for younger kids|
The touchscreen is easy to use
|Garmin Vivofit Jr. 3||Kids like how it looks like a real smartwatch|
Has Marvel and Disney-themed designs
|Xplora X5 Play||Has cellular connectivity for contacts saved only|
Features a GPS tracker
|Fitbit Ace 2||Excellent fitness tracker for kids|
Waterproof so can swim with it
|Apple Watch SE||The sleek, top-end design|
Excellent performance on all features
Elements to Consider
When it comes to smartwatches, there are certain things to note before making your purchase.
Does the watch have GPS tracking ability? Are there pre-installed apps and games that are good for kids? How good is the camera? What are the fitness features? Is the design cool and modern? Does it have LTE (long-term evolution) that allows texting and messaging and how much will that be per month? Now we’re not saying a kids smartwatch has to have all of these features. It depends on why you are getting a smartwatch for your kid and how old they are.
For instance, a child who is starting to walk home from school who is about 10 might want features like a GPS tracker for kids (a parent’s favorite thing), a fitness tracker to collect their steps, and fun apps and games.
Whereas a fourteen-year-old might be more interested in the watch’s design and if they can text their friends using LTE. Get the right features for your kid depending on their interests and age.
Best Smartwatch for Kids
We did some research for you and collected the list of the best smartwatches for kids. Take a glance and choose wisely.
First, the VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch DX2 is available via Amazon, and it’s a bestseller. We like it already, right?
Intended for kids that range from 4-12 years of age, this watch is easy to navigate, comes with dual cameras, and has 256 MB of internal storage. It has lots of fun games for your kids to play that promotes learning and encourages movement for their fitness. The VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch DX2 comes in five different colors and is only $49.99.
- An inexpensive option for younger kids.
- The touchscreen is easy to use.
- The dual camera is splashproof
- Photos are easy to edit
- Design is rather large and bulky
- It doesn’t come with GPS tracking or LTE for texting or calling
2. Verizon GizmoWatch 2
You knew that Verizon was going to get on board with a kids smartwatch, right? They did with the Verizon GizmoWatch 2 that features a GPS tracker, LTE for ten contacts, and 4GB of RAM.
The design is sleek and comfortable for kids between the ages of 3 and 11. It comes with fitness tracking and has excellent parental controls. It requires an activation fee of $35 (one-time cost) and is only $3.33 per month.
- It comes with GPS tracking that is real-time
- Calls and texts to 10 people which excellent for parents
- The screen is bright and colorful for kids
- The Parental Controls are fantastic and leave you feeling comfortable
- Fitness tracking is installed to get those kids moving
- The design is comfortable and sleek
- It doesn’t come with many fun games for kids
- Some reviews suggest the battery life is short
- Since it features LTE capability, it requires a monthly subscription
The Garmin Vivofit Jr. 2 is an excellent option for kids, especially if you have a tighter budget but still want a decent kids smartwatch. The battery life is an entire year, and it features multiple designs to include Disney-themed.
It features a fitness tracker that has step challenges and allows you to link to friends to compete. That is excellent for keeping your kids active. It comes with a parent assistant that enables you to track what your child is doing with the phone. Buy it brand new on Amazon for $52.88.
- Parental assistant allows you to track the smartwatch via your mobile device.
- Extremely comfortable
- It comes with Disney-themed or Marvel designs
- Battery life is a full year
- Unlocking games require you to buy additional bands
- Some reviews stated that the display wasn’t very colorful
If you liked the Garmin Vivofit Jr. 2, you would love the Jr. 3. With this kids smartwatch, there is a battery life of one year, and it is replaceable by you. It has Bluetooth capability and has an interactive app experience that the parents control.
It’s durable and can be used while swimming. It features a colorful display, a fitness tracker, and multiple games to unlock. At only $67.99, we love the Garmin Vivofit Jr. 3.
- Kids like how it looks like a real smartwatch
- Has Marvel and Disney-themed designs
- The battery life is spectacular and can be replaced
- Exercises are like games, so it’s more fun
- It’s water-resistant so that you can swim with it on
- The screen looks pretty dark as opposed to other competitors
- It doesn’t have a touchscreen feature
- It’s a pricey option for a kids smartwatch
With a battery life of 72 hours when in standby mode with a GPS tracker, the Xplora X5 Play smartwatch is another favorite. The display features gorilla glass, so it’s more durable than some competitors. It features a selfie camera which is a must-have amongst kids these days. The storage capacity is 512 MB, and it provides cellular connectivity.
Make and receive calls from saved contacts with the Xplora X5 Play and feel like you are on your way to an adult smartwatch. While it is more expensive at $169.99, this is one of the best smartwatches for kids.
- Has cellular connectivity for contacts saved only
- Features a GPS tracker
- Battery life is superb
- The water-resistant level is IP68 and is also dust resistant
- The fitness tracker has games to make it more fun
- Parents enjoy the safety features of this smartwatch
- Reviews state the microphone is extremely sensitive
- The app doesn’t allow you to see the step count for your child
6. Fitbit Ace 2
The Fitbit Ace 2 is excellent for younger kids to enjoy fitness tracking, sleep tracking, and alarms for reminders. It’s compatible with both Android and iOS and has Bluetooth capability.
The battery life is five days which is fantastic for kids. We recommend this kids smartwatch for anyone who is 4 to 12 years of age. Also, the Fitbit Ace 2 is affordable at only $39.95.
- Excellent fitness tracker for kids
- Waterproof so can swim with it
- Inexpensive yet durable
- Design is fun for kids
- Can change straps
- Battery life is excellent
- The app is challenging to set up
Keeping with the Fitbit vibe, the Fitbit Versa 2 is one of the best kids smartwatches. It’s a little more expensive at $179.95, but it comes with tons of features. We recommend this smartwatch for kids that are a little older.
It has Bluetooth and wifi and a battery life of five days. It is waterproof of up to 50m too. Sleep tracking, fitness tracking, a heart rate monitor, and a built-in Alexa are all included with this smartwatch. Its sleek-looking design will make your pre-teen your new best friend.
- Design is sleek and lightweight
- The screen is large and easy to see
- Fitness and sleep trackers are incredible
- Includes an “always-on” feature for the display
- Excellent battery life
- It doesn’t come with a GPS tracker
- You can’t use Spotify offline
- While it is compatible with Android and iOS, it doesn’t work with the Apple Health or Google Fit programs.
Apple had to appear in this list somewhere. They are too good to pass up, especially when it comes to the best smartwatch. The Apple Watch SE is expensive at $269.98 on Amazon, but it’s loaded with features.
It has Bluetooth, a GPS tracker, a ton of fitness options, a sleep tracker, and you can take calls and reply to text messages right from your wrist. Pretty neat, right? The Apple watch is more high-end, so we recommend this for your teenagers who are Apple lovers.
- The sleek, top-end design
- Excellent performance on all features
- Comfortable to wear even at night
- The screen is easy to read
- Multiple health features included
- Expensive option for a kid
- Battery life isn’t great
- The “always-on” feature that Fitbit has isn’t an option with the Apple Watch.
- The Apple Watch isn’t compatible with Android phones
Avoid this Smartwatch
It’s not often that we give you a product to avoid, but in this case, we will when it comes to the Efolen 4G smartwatch. The bulky design is too much, especially for a kid. The battery life is terrible, and the watch doesn’t seem to tell time correctly.
If it can’t tell time correctly, what good is it, right? Plus, it’s complicated to use. When you are buying something for your child, you need it to be easy to understand. Bypass this smartwatch!
Any of the smartwatches that we listed are an excellent choice for your child. Depending on their age and their interests, there is something for everyone. Younger kids might love the VTech, GizmoWatch, or Vivofit, while pre-teens and teenagers might go for the Apple Watch for Fitbit series.
Either way, all of these watches are excellent, durable products. Start shopping now because Christmas is coming!